Yes, Gotodoctor.ca provides virtual care services for acid reflux. A doctor will take a comprehensive in-depth history and may provide you with prescriptions. Depending on the severity of symptoms further recommendations will be provided. If a patient is suffering from severe acid reflux the doctor will direct him/her to clinic treatment.
Acid reflux occurs in lower esophageal sphincter abnormalities . Inflammation, eating large meals, obesity, snacking at bedtime when the overall metabolism of the body is slowing down, smoking, pregnancy, eating citrus foods before bedtime are some of the underlying reasons behind acid reflux disease[3, 4]. Nausea and vomiting along with burping and sore throat can also result in discomfort. Acid reflux should be investigated to exclude acute ulcerations.
Acid reflux can present simultaneously with heart burning and discomfort in the upper thorax mostly due to an increase in acidity levels in the stomach and anti-peristalsis movement. A doctor will be able to diagnose acid reflux by identifying characteristic symptoms. Symptoms associated with acid reflux are bloating, vomiting, nausea, discomfort in the throat, chest and abdomen, heartburn and weight loss, dysphagia and hiccups that do not resolve and make the throat irritated [6, 7].
A doctor decides on treatment after taking a comprehensive history of the patient. Treatment of acid reflux disease depends on the underlying cause and investigations. Esophageal manometry, the study of pH levels, endoscopy and biopsy of stomach should be done to find out the root cause. First of all, life-threatening conditions are excluded by the doctor at the clinic. Pain relief medications may be prescribed to make the patient free of pain. Prescriptions for ant-acids medications and proton pump inhibitors may be provided to the patient to normalize the pH levels in the stomach and to protect the mucosal lining of the stomach from developing ulcerations due to acid accumulation in excess[10, 11] [12, 13].
An online doctor on Gotodoctor.ca can treat acid reflux through virtual care services. An appointment can be easily made with an online doctor. Acid reflux can be treated via virtual care methods[6, 12-19]. An online doctor will take a comprehensive history of your signs and symptoms and may provide you with prescriptions. Virtual care services provided by Gotodoctor.ca assure comfort, convenience and a higher level of care for the patient.
1. Pope, C.E., Acid-reflux disorders. New England Journal of Medicine, 1994. 331(10): p. 656-660.
2. Sifrim, D., et al., Acid, nonacid, and gas reflux in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease during ambulatory 24-hour pH-impedance recordings. Gastroenterology, 2001. 120(7): p. 1588-1598.
3. Martinez, S., et al., Non‐erosive reflux disease (NERD)—acid reflux and symptom patterns. Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics, 2003. 17(4): p. 537-545.
4. Kahrilas, P.J. and R. Gupta, Mechanisms of acid reflux associated with cigarette smoking. Gut, 1990. 31(1): p. 4-10.
5. Robertson, D., et al., Patterns of acid reflux in complicated oesophagitis. Gut, 1987. 28(11): p. 1484-1488.
6. Eaton, L.H., et al., Development and implementation of a telehealth-enhanced intervention for pain and symptom management. Contemporary clinical trials, 2014. 38(2): p. 213-220.
7. Staub, G.M., J. von Overbeck, and E. Blozik, Teleconsultation in children with abdominal pain: a comparison of physician triage recommendations and an established paediatric telephone triage protocol. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 2013. 13: p. 110-110.
8. Smout, A., Endoscopy‐negative acid reflux disease. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 1997. 11: p. 81-85.
9. Edelstein, Z.R., et al., Risk factors for Barrett’s esophagus among patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease: a community clinic-based case-control study. The American journal of gastroenterology, 2009. 104(4): p. 834.
10. Rayburn, W., et al., Antacids vs. antacids plus non‐prescription ranitidine for heartburn during pregnancy. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 1999. 66(1): p. 35-37.
11. Vela, M.F., et al., Simultaneous intraesophageal impedance and pH measurement of acid and nonacid gastroesophageal reflux: effect of omeprazole. Gastroenterology, 2001. 120(7): p. 1599-1606.
12. Almathami, H.K.Y., K.T. Win, and E. Vlahu-Gjorgievska, Barriers and Facilitators That Influence Telemedicine-Based, Real-Time, Online Consultation at Patients’ Homes: Systematic Literature Review. J Med Internet Res, 2020. 22(2): p. e16407.
13. Deldar, K., K. Bahaadinbeigy, and S.M. Tara, Teleconsultation and Clinical Decision Making: a Systematic Review. Acta informatica medica : AIM : journal of the Society for Medical Informatics of Bosnia & Herzegovina : casopis Drustva za medicinsku informatiku BiH, 2016. 24(4): p. 286-292.
14. Gunasekeran, D.V., et al., Evaluating Safety and Efficacy of Follow-up for Patients With Abdominal Pain Using Video Consultation (SAVED Study): Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of medical Internet research, 2020. 22(6): p. e17417-e17417.
15. Myers, D.R., et al., Towards remote assessment and screening of acute abdominal pain using only a smartphone with native accelerometers. Scientific Reports, 2017. 7(1): p. 12750.
16. Staub, G., J. Overbeck, and E. Blozik, Teleconsultation in children with abdominal pain: A comparison of physician triage recommendations and an established paediatric telephone triage protocol. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 2013. 13: p. 110.
17. Bokolo Anthony, J., Use of Telemedicine and Virtual Care for Remote Treatment in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Medical Systems, 2020. 44(7): p. 132.
18. Wang, X., et al., Impact of Telemedicine on Healthcare Service System Considering Patients’ Choice. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, 2019. 2019: p. 7642176.
19. Williams, O.E., et al., The use of telemedicine to enhance secondary care: some lessons from the front line. Future healthcare journal, 2017. 4(2): p. 109-114.
Book an appointment!
You need help with Acid reflux? Talk to a doctor online today or book an online appointment on Gotodoctor.ca.